When you schedule your appointment for a dental checkup, do you know what to expect from your upcoming experience? Or, do you simply know that this is something you have to do and that it is in some way related to maintaining a healthy smile? Because twice-annual checkups are so important, we encourage you to step your way through a quick quiz. It will shed light on your knowledge of prevention, while offering some additional information (that may increase your understanding of what makes exams so essential).
Dental Checkups: True-or-False Quiz
- True or False: You need a checkup once every six months because detecting and addressing problems like cavities sooner – rather than later – can help you avoid the development of complications.
- True or False: We do not only look for cavities during checkups – we seek out other hygiene-related problems as well as functional issues.
- True or False: Receiving a checkup will help with the aforementioned problems but it cannot do much for serious issues like periodontal disease or oral cancer.
- True. If we detect the presence of an oral disease during your dental checkup, we can offer treatment immediately. If you wait too long between appointments, what was initially an easily treatable cavity may progress into a difficult-to-treat infection.
- True. Your exam will be thorough, as we look for issues associated with your hygiene, such as tooth decay or gingivitis. We will also look for issues with function, such as teeth grinding (bruxism), jaw joint concerns (TMJ disorder), and misalignment.
- False. We urge patients to remain consistent with checkups because catching problems like gum disease and oral cancer right away result in a greatly increased success rate for available treatments. The sooner we treat a problem, the greater the chance of restored health.