Although most northerners would believe that there are no winters in Texas that simply is not true. Texas has winter too, and with winter can come winter mouth. What is winter mouth? It can be similar to winter skin. In the winter your skin gets dry and feels itchy. Although your mouth may not itch, the winter air can dry it out. Take our true or false quiz below to see what you do and don’t know about winter mouth.
True or False?
- True or False: When winter rolls around you produce more saliva.
- True or False: Most people don’t know they have winter mouth because it is hard to tell.
- True or False: A dry mouth caused by winter air has no symptoms.
- True or False: There is nothing you can do to prevent dry winter mouth.
- True or False: Eating right can help keep your oral cavity healthy.
- False: The winter air dries out your oral tissues.
- False: From your lips to your throat, winter mouth is dry and uncomfortable. You will probably know you have it.
- False: Dry mouth whether caused by the winter air or something else can be problematic and cause bad breath.
- False: There are some things you can do to combat dry mouth during the winter such as drinking plenty of You need water to stay hydrated and to produce saliva. Saliva keeps your mouth moist and comfortable.
- True: Food is an important source of vitamins and minerals that help strengthen your teeth and keep your gums healthy. Sugary foods are not good for your teeth or mouth because sugar attracts bad bacteria that cause bad breath. Eating fresh fruits and fresh vegetables throughout the day helps keep your teeth and mouth clean.
ABOUT YOUR GARLAND DENTIST:
Dr. Vi Mai and the caring staff at Mai Dentistry are dedicated to ensuring that our patients are proud of their beautiful, healthy smiles. With years of experience in general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry, we can expertly diagnose and treat early dental trouble to preserve your natural tooth structure. To learn more, or to schedule your next appointment, call us today at (972) 530-0552.