Do you seem to always have a serious headache? If the cause of your discomfort continues to elude you, then you may be one of the over ten million people suffering from TMJ disorder, or TMD. Patients with TMJ disorder experience a number of uncomfortable symptoms, including headaches and jaw pain.
Garland TX TMJ Disorder Quiz
1. True or False: TMJ disorder affects the jaw joints.
2. True or False: Patients with TMJ disorder often report chronic headaches.
3. True or False: A number of factors can cause TMJ disorder.
4. True or False: Your Garland TX dentist can treat TMJ disorder.
1. True. TMJ disorder develops when the jaw joints become strained. The temporomandibular joints connect the jaw to the skull and controls all jaw movement, including the actions necessary to eat or speak. Without treatment, TMJ disorder can make opening and closing your mouth difficult.
2. True. In addition to headaches, patients with TMJ dysfunction may experience popping or clicking in the jaw, earaches, jaw pain, facial discomfort, and toothaches.
3. True. Different factors can place inordinate pressure on the jaw joints, leading to the onset of TMJ disorder. Malocclusion, missing teeth, trauma to the face or jaw, and bruxism (teeth grinding) are all common causes of TMD.
4. True. First, you will need to schedule a consultation with your Garland TX dentist. Dr. Mai will assess the cause and extent of your TMJ issues, recommending the most appropriate treatment options. In some cases, orthodontic treatment can reduce malocclusion. Other patients may require a dental prosthetic or a crown to restore the smile and decrease TMJ symptoms. However, the most common treatment involves a custom-made mouthguard, which repositions the jaw to ease TMJ symptoms.
Do You Require TMJ Treatment in Garland, TX? To learn more about our treatments for TMJ disorder, bruxism, and other common issues, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Vi Mai, contact our office at (972) 530-0552. We treat patients of all ages, and our staff speaks English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Dr. Mai welcomes patients living in Wylie, Murphy, Allen, Dallas, Plano, and the surrounding areas.