Last week, we took a look at the importance of dental cleanings. Every six months you also need another kind of visit, a dental exam. Why do we need checkups? With a routine exam, the dentist can help you enjoy a healthier smile and safeguard you against decay and other oral health concerns.
Try Our Quiz on Dental Checkups
- True or False: You need one twice a year.
- True or False: We use technology to examine your smile.
- True or False: Early identification can increase the chance of a full recovery.
- True or False: We will perform a cleaning in the same visit.
- True. The American Dental Association recommends that patients of all ages, from children to adults, have an exam every six months. For children, the fist appointment should occur shortly after the initial baby tooth erupts.
- True. We can use digital x-rays, as well as intraoral cameras, to examine your smile and look for any signs of developing oral health concerns. During an exam, we look for signs of tooth decay, gingivitis, gum disease, and oral cancer. We will also look at the jaw joints for indicators of TMJ disorder and bruxism.
- True. When we identify a problem in the earliest stages, we can then treat the problem or refer you to a specialist. You then have a greater chance at making a full recovery.
- True. During the same visit, we will use an ultrasonic scaler to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. Doing so can limit the chances of cavities forming or the gums becoming inflamed. If you have any questions about our checkups or our dental cleanings, then please contact our office today. We want to work with you to help you maintain a lifetime of healthy smiles.
DO YOU NEED A CHECKUP?
At Vi Mai-Truong, DDS, we can use a checkup to monitor and protect your smile. If you would like to schedule on, then let us know! For our patients who don’t speak English, our office is fluent in both Spanish and Vietnamese. To schedule an appointment, call our Garland, TX office today at (972) 530-0552.