We love the holidays, but as dental professionals we also know how the abundance of sugary foods and drinks can impact smiles of all ages. Fortunately, there are preventive steps you can take to help safeguard your smile against cavities this holiday season.
Keep Your Smiles Health This Holiday Season
- Eat Healthier: Try to resist the temptation of holiday treats and enjoy healthier food and snack options. Cut back on foods high in sugar and starch. Instead, trying adding more dairy products, such as low-fat yogurt. Nuts, fresh fruit, and vegetable also make great meal options and healthy snack choices.
- More Water, Less Soda: Often, we seem to drink anything but water. But soda, energy drinks, and even sports drinks can all increase the risk of tooth decay. However, water contains no sugars or harmful acids. You can stay hydrated without posing a danger to your teeth.
- Brush Properly: You should be brushing twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. You should reach every available surface of your teeth and spend at least two minutes brushing. When you use your toothbrush properly, you help reduce the risk of tooth decay and gingivitis.
- Always Floss: Even more important that brushing, flossing helps removes food particles stuck between teeth. When you floss, you actually help protect your smile from gingivitis and periodontal disease. You should use floss tape every night before going to bed.
- See Your Dentist: Every six months call your dentist to schedule a checkup and cleaning. This preventive visit allows the doctor to monitor your smile and address potential problems in the early stages. The doctor can also clean the teeth, removing plaque buildup to protect the smile from the onset of cavities and periodontal disease.