Just like there are a variety of dental treatments, there are also different types of dentistry. There is general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics, preventive, and restorative dentistry. Different treatments fall under the different types of dentistry and there is even some over-lap. While there are different types of dentists such as a general dentist, an orthodontist, and a cosmetic dentist, there is not a “restorative” dentist. Rather a general dentist can perform restorative procedures. It may appear confusing, but it is good to know the difference between restorative and preventive dentistry.
True or False?
- True or False: The purpose of preventive dentistry is so you never have to undergo restorative dentistry.
- True or False: General dentistry includes preventive treatments and restorative treatments.
- True or False: Any type of procedure that “restores” the health and function of your teeth is considered restorative dentistry.
- True or False: Tooth whitening is considered restorative because you are “restoring” your teeth to their natural color.
- True: Preventive dentistry is your first defense against dental disease. It includes treatments such as your twice yearly exams and professional cleanings to help prevent future problems.
- True: Checkups, cleanings, x-rays, are all general dental treatments. However, fillings are also considered general dentistry, but they also fall under restorative dentistry because they restore your teeth.
- True: While there is some overlap, preventive dentistry includes treatments that are meant to prevent future problems from arising. Restorative dentistry “restores” your teeth when needed. It also involves diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of oral/dental diseases.
- False: Tooth whitening is considered cosmetic because tooth whitening is not performed to restore the health or function of your teeth, but rather to make them look better. Decayed, chipped, cracked, broken, or missing teeth need to be fixed or restored. Some restorative options include fillings, dental bonding, bridges, crowns, implants, and bridges.
ABOUT YOUR GARLAND, TX DENTIST:
Dr. Vi Mai-Truong and the caring staff at Mai Dentistry are dedicated to ensuring that our patients are proud of their beautiful, healthy smiles. With years of experience in general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry, we can expertly diagnose and treat early dental trouble to preserve your natural tooth structure. To learn more, or to schedule your next appointment, call our Garland, TX office today at (972) 530-0552.